S88, shorthand for ANSI/ISA-88, provides standards and recommended practices for the design and specification of batch control systems as used in the pharmaceutical- and food industries. The S88 course introduces the participants to the structuring behind process control of batch manufacturing which ensures uniformity across systems, programmers, and programming languages.
The participants will gain a basic understanding of other relevant standards in control system architecture and integration. Furthermore, the course includes an introduction into how one would use standards in line with current industry 4.0 trends.
- Introduction to S88.01
- S88 Models – Process, Physical, and Procedural
- Recipes, Parameters and Allocation
- Industry 4.0
- Understanding of key S88 concepts
- Common language for process automation, used across the pharmaceutical business.
- Insight in different implementations of the S88 structure.
Method of teaching
The course is an interactive lecture supported by exercises where the theory will be put into use by easy-to-understand examples. Questions based on your experiences and stories from real life are encouraged.
Content is based on DS/EN 61512-1:2001, Batch control – Part 1: Models and terminology and instructors’ industrial experience.