S88 – A Practical Approach
S88, shorthand for ANSI/ISA-88, provides standards and recommended practices for the design and specification of batch control systems as used in the pharmaceutical- and food industries. The S88 course introduces the participants to the structuring behind process control of batch manufacturing which ensures uniformity across systems, programmers, and programming languages.
The participants will gain a basic understanding of other relevant standards in control system architecture and integration. Furthermore, the course includes an introduction into how one would use standards in line with current industry 4.0 trends.
Content is based on DS/EN 61512-1:2001, Batch control – Part 1: Models and terminology and instructors’ industrial experience.
- Introduction and background of S88.01
- Thorough walkthrough of the S88 Models – Process, Physical, and Procedural
- Overview of Recipes, Parameters and Allocation
- Introduction to industry 4.0
- Understanding of key S88 concepts
- Common language for process automation, used across the pharmaceutical business.
- Insight in different implementations of the S88 structure.
- S88 models (Process, Physical, and Procedural)
- Equipment allocation
- S88 and verification
- Industry 4.0
Method of teaching
The course is taught in English as standard but we also offer the course in Danish. All the course material will be in English regardless. The course instructor is fluent in Danish so clarification can be done in Danish if needed.
The course is an interactive lecture supported by exercises where the theory will be put into use by easy-to-understand examples. Questions based on your experiences and stories from real life are encouraged.
After the course we ask all our participant to fill out an evaluation so we can improve the course further.